The Usual Suspects
The 5 on mascara:
1) All mascara is not created equal, choose your effect - lengthening, thickening, voluminous, curling and/or maximum impact! Curl lashes prior to application.
2) Contact lens wearers, during allergy season and emotional events, go for a waterproof formula.
3) Don't pump air into the tube. The formula will dry out and can cause contamination and accelerate bacterial growth.
4) Change every 60 days and open a new tube to keep eyes healthy.
5) Make sure it passes the smell test - if you notice a change in smell, odor, consistency or it becomes dry and cakey, throw it out and get a new one.